Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Official Soundtrack to the Academy Awards

Because I love making mix CDs. It's just something I love doing. I make one and I gotta make a second and then a third and a fourth and so on. So, to celebrate tomorrow's 80th Academy Awards here is my official Soundtrack to the Academy Awards. Featuring obvious songs like "Falling Slowly" and "That's How You Know" alongside more, um, er, obscure choices (Divine! Ono! Cher! Joe Dolce!) There's even a bonus track!

And if you want it's 80 minutes long so it's perfect length to burn onto a CD! I'm such a good friend, aren't I? (see track 19)

1:: Ethel Merman, "There's No Business Like Show Business [Disco Mix]"
Doesn't represent a movie, I just thought this song perfectly encapsulates the ceremony. I consider it the show's unofficial anthem. But only the disco mix, because the disco mix is so much more amazing (and awful). I wish Rob Lowe would do an interpretive dance to this song.

2:: Divine, "Walk Like a Man" - I'm Not There
I thought "Dylan or Divine?" and the choice was so obvious. Divine > Dylan. Fact.

3:: Yoko Ono with The Brothers Brothers, "Yes, I'm a Witch" - Michael Clayton
Aka "Theme Song for Karen Crowder". Plus, the song is awesome.

4:: Stephanie McIntosh, "So Do I Say Sorry First" - Atonement
I had picked out something else entirely to represent Atonement, but as I glanced over the lyrics to this song by failed Neighbours-to-pop-star Steph McIntosh there was quite a bit of symmetry (even if the song doesn't have the same plot at the movie). "And I swear that you won't change / I hope you learn to trust somebody" is total Briony.

5:: Sneaky Sound System, "UFO" - Transformers
One of the things that confused me most about Transformers (a movie I liked, remember?) was how on earth they were going to convince anyway that nothing happened? Those robots tore about Los Angeles! It's not like nobody saw! Yet at the end of the movie they made it out that we all lived happily ever after. Strange. "I saw a UFO and nobody believes me" I guess they couldn't have "I saw a car that turns into a robot and nobody believes me" because that could be too coincidental.

6:: Michael Jackson, "Thriller" - No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood
These two were the hardest to think of a song for, so I went with MJ's "Thriller". You can't stop what's coming the beast with the forty eyes.

7:: Motiv8, "Break the Chain" - Black Snake Moan
Look, I know this movie wasn't nominated for anything, but the symmetry was just too perfect to ignore. Plus the song is freakin' incredible and everyone should have it on their iPod.

8:: Sir Mixalot, "Baby Got Back" - Norbit
I have not seen Norbit, nor do I ever intend to, but I'm fairly certain this song appeared in that movie at some point. And if not... well, here it is anyway.

9:: Cher, "Just Like Jesse James" - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Too literal? Perhaps. Too amazing? NEVER!

10:: Joe Dolce, "Shaddap You Face" - Sweeney Todd and La Vie en Rose
Sasha Baron Cohen has gone on record as saying he based his character of Signor Adolfo Pirelli on Joe Dolce's awful novelty record of the early 1980s "Shaddap You Face" and I didn't have time to go through the Sweeney Todd soundtrack to find a song I wanted to include. Plus - two-for-one! - this song can also represent Marion Cotillard's Quasi-Modo-as-Hobbit performance in La Vie en Rose. He does sing "Whatsa matter you / Gotta no respect" which works well alongside "Non, je ne regrette rien", does it not?!

11:: Amy Adams, "That's How You Know" - Enchanted
I can't justify how this song relates to Enchanted. I just think it does. Do you see it too?

12:: Ultra Orange & Emmanuelle, "Don't Kiss Me Goodbye" - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
I looooved this song because the movie came out and then it was in the trailer and I thought "awesome!" Of course it helps that Emmanuelle (that'd be Emmanuelle Sagnier, Roman Polanski's... wife?) is one of the movie's stars. I'd recommend their other collaborations too, though. All very good.

13:: Spiderbait, "By the Time I get to Howlong" - 3:10 to Yuma
I had originally gone with the much more obvious "Time is Running Out" by Muse, but I like this song better and if you pay attention to the lyrics (some of which non-Australians won't understand because it's a lot of place names like "Wyalong", "Bright" and "Shepparton") it totally fits with the movie about a man with a past being sent back to the prison he has been to several times before.

14:: The Swell Season, "Falling Slowly" - Once
Again, WHERE IS THE CONNECTION? I'm just making this shit up as I go along.

15:: Fiona Apple, "Across the Universe" - Across the Universe
Probably my favourite cover of the Beatles' "Across the Universe" is this one by Fiona Apple. Isn't it everybody's favourite, though?

16:: Broken Social Scene, "Anthems for a Seventeen-Year-Old Girl" - Juno
This songs feels so much like it belongs in Juno, doesn't it?

17:: Mazzy Star, "Into Dust" - Away From Her
A beautiful song for a beautiful movie. The lyrics are so right for Sarah Polley's exquisite double Oscar nominee, aren't they?

18:: Eddie Veddar, "Hard Sun" - Into the Wild
My favourite of Eddie Veddar's songs from the Into the Wild soundtrack was this one, which I originally thought was an original, but turned out to be a cover version. Typical. This was the only Veddar song to make an impression on me during Into the Wild - naturally, I wasn't at all sad that he got snubbed in the original song category - and that's why I'm putting it on here instead of, like, "Guaranteed" or whatever the other songs I am apparently meant to think are classics. Pfft.

BONUS TRACK:: Golden Girls Theme - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Cause for months I called it Elizabeth: The Golden Years like it was, and I paraphrase Adam here, Elizabeth in a nursing home. Although that would be entertaining. Abbie Cornish could be the Nurse Ratched of the movie and Geoffrey Rush could be the film's Mr Bloom. Plus, it's also the greatest tv theme song of all time and I like to think of it as a "thank you!" to all you lovely readers out there.

Download Here! (78.89mb)

There, now that was fun, wasn't it?

6 comments:

Adrik said...

you had me at 'the ethel merman disco album'

Kamikaze Camel said...

I try. I really do!

Adrik said...

*rockin to ethel now and lovin it

Kamikaze Camel said...

There's no Ethel, like Disco Ethel, like no Ethel I know!

Adem With An E said...

ETHEL FUCKING MERMAN.

You're officially even more amazing than you already were, Glenn.

Kamikaze Camel said...

*doing his best Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive impersonation*

Why thank you, darling...