Sunday, February 3, 2008

Make Me Feel Good

Motiv8's (aka genius Steve Rodway) "Rockin' For Myself" was - and there ain't no hyperbole here, folks - one of the greatest songs of the '90s. It was at the height of "eurotrance" and is just fuckin' flatout brilliant. This was back in the day when this genre was more than just lazy-arsed dance acts putting a boring dance beat to famous songs (see Cicada's "Truly Madly Deeply" etc) and shoving a skinny model wearing a bikini into the video clip. The clip for "Rockin' For Myself" has a strange giant strawberry!!! It was also from a time when the USA wasn't scared shitless of something with a pulse and not just boring "crunk" hip-hop.

I dare anyone to listen to this song (or the almost-but-not-quite-as-good Motiv8 track "Break the Chain") and not wanna dance. Dance like it's 1994.


*sigh* I may have barely been 10 but god I miss that era.

4 comments:

adam k. said...

When I read "make me feel good" now the only thing I can ever think about is Halle Berry jumping all over Billy Bob.

"Make me feel GOOOOOOOD"

Kamikaze Camel said...

blegh

Adem With An E said...

Other AH-MAH-ZHING Steve Rodway moments:

Gina G - The Rhythm Of My Life
Pet Shop Boys - Red Letter Day (Motiv8 Mix)
Pulp - Disco 2000 (Motiv8 Remix)
Mary Kiani - When I Call Your Name (Motiv8 Remix)
Crush - Jellyhead (Motiv8 Remix)
Spice Girls - Wannabe (Motiv8 Vocal Slam)

That's just the tip of the iceberg...

Fatherless One said...

Those boncing basslines and searing riffs are bloody brilliant. I've over the years managed to collect most of Steve's Motiv8 remixes, I still love them.

If you enjoy the Motiv8 sound have a listen to mixes by another UK producer EuropaXL (Gary Johnson, he had some involvement with Motiv8) http://www.geocities.com/europaxlmix/
The EuropaXL sound is imho equally brilliant, enjoy :)