Sunday, February 17, 2008

Glenn's Initial Thoughts on So You Think You Can Dance*

* heretofore known as SYTYCD

I haven't watch much of the American seasons of SYTYCD, but I thought I'd make an effort to watch the new Australian version hosted by Natalie Bassingsassasssinsinssssssingthwaite. I went in and out of the audition episodes because, by and large, the audition episodes of talent programs are torture. Tonight, however, was the first competition show and these are just some of the thoughts I had.

* What's up with Natalie's hair? It's like she had steam coming out of her ears like in a cartoon and it poofed up the side of her hair.

* I hope next week they give each of the dancers a microphone instead of relying on Natalie to stretch her arm out to reach for the dancers. They said things that we couldn't hear because she wasn't fast enough and in wide shoes Natters looked really awkward outstretching her arm so much for so long.

* I love "Don't Hold Back" by The Potbelleez, but that song was not right for the salsa.

* That Vanessa chick is one kimono away from being a geisha, I swear. She might as well hold a fan up to her mouth as she giggles. It was like one big giant stereotype.

* Speaking of stereotypes, I was so glad that Rhys - the make-up artist/drag queen from Melbourne up there at the top of this entry - was so unstereotypical in his waltz. Performance of the night. Even when you take into the consideration the way the song (Celine Dion's "A New Day Has Come") ended very abruptly.

* I really don't like that guy who danced the jive to The Veronicas "Untouched" (#9 best single of 2007).

* Silverchair's "If You Keep Losing Sleep" (#28 best single of 2007) is a great song to choreograph a dance to, but what the bleeding hell was that? Yikes. Worst dance of the night, for sure.

* Jack is such a cutie! I just wanna ravage him silly. I mean, just look at him!


* I didn't care for Demi before tonight, but she and Jack were so good together.

* Christ, I hope these judges are getting all their cliches out in this episode ("you work well as a team!" "you're doing a style of dance you've never done before!" etc) because I won't be able to stand 10 more weeks of their nonstop chatter.

* The music they have been using has all been very good. They even used the Justice Remix of Justin Timberlake's "Love Stoned" (#35 best single of 2007). I'm surprised they haven't been labelling the songs at the start of each performance like they do on the US version.

Check out the official page for more.

6 comments:

Joel said...

My initial thought was that the show wouldn't be as good as the US version because of the choreography... But it actually wasn't too bad.
I did however think the way they shot it was absolutely terrible! They shot it like they were filming Idol and it didn't work.

My favorite of the night was probably the Boogaloo but I don't think any of them were particularly memorable.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I know, the swooping and other certain camera angles weren't right.

Joel said...

Yeah they would do a swooping shot and then cut back to the same static shot filmed right in the middle of the stage. And then the dancers would spilt and you'd be left with an empty stage for a few seconds before they cut again. It makes the dancing look poor and for a show about dancing, you think you'd want to do that right.

par3182 said...

plus the lighting was crap and natalie bassingthwaite really needs to loosen up (or learn to read an autocue)

the choreography was disappointing on everything except the waltz and the boogaloo(?)

rhys & jack are the stars of this already

big props to the wardrobe department for getting the shirts off most of the boys

Kamikaze Camel said...

I love that during the results show they just gave up on that ridiculous "we'll find out in a moment" (or whatever Natters was saying over and over) because it was so stupid that even the contestants were mocking it. Deservedly too, I must say.

Adem With An E said...

I think - considering the woman has NEVER done live television before - she's doing a fabulous job. She'll get there; she's obviously nervous but she's not fucking up every single sentence like, oh, say, Johdi Meares or however you spell her slaggy name on Australia's Next Top Model.

I think week 3 of live shows, she'll have loosened up.

Much love for Jack. HE IS ON FAZZBOOK OMGZLAWLZLAWLZLOL.