* heretofore known as SYTYCD
I haven't watch much of the American seasons of SYTYCD, but I thought I'd make an effort to watch the new Australian version hosted by Natalie Bassingsassasssinsinssssssingthwaite. I went in and out of the audition episodes because, by and large, the audition episodes of talent programs are torture. Tonight, however, was the first competition show and these are just some of the thoughts I had.
* What's up with Natalie's hair? It's like she had steam coming out of her ears like in a cartoon and it poofed up the side of her hair.
* I hope next week they give each of the dancers a microphone instead of relying on Natalie to stretch her arm out to reach for the dancers. They said things that we couldn't hear because she wasn't fast enough and in wide shoes Natters looked really awkward outstretching her arm so much for so long.
* I love "Don't Hold Back" by The Potbelleez, but that song was not right for the salsa.
* That Vanessa chick is one kimono away from being a geisha, I swear. She might as well hold a fan up to her mouth as she giggles. It was like one big giant stereotype.
* Speaking of stereotypes, I was so glad that Rhys - the make-up artist/drag queen from Melbourne up there at the top of this entry - was so unstereotypical in his waltz. Performance of the night. Even when you take into the consideration the way the song (Celine Dion's "A New Day Has Come") ended very abruptly.
* I really don't like that guy who danced the jive to The Veronicas "Untouched" (#9 best single of 2007).
* Silverchair's "If You Keep Losing Sleep" (#28 best single of 2007) is a great song to choreograph a dance to, but what the bleeding hell was that? Yikes. Worst dance of the night, for sure.
* Jack is such a cutie! I just wanna ravage him silly. I mean, just look at him!
* I didn't care for Demi before tonight, but she and Jack were so good together.
* Christ, I hope these judges are getting all their cliches out in this episode ("you work well as a team!" "you're doing a style of dance you've never done before!" etc) because I won't be able to stand 10 more weeks of their nonstop chatter.
* The music they have been using has all been very good. They even used the Justice Remix of Justin Timberlake's "Love Stoned" (#35 best single of 2007). I'm surprised they haven't been labelling the songs at the start of each performance like they do on the US version.
Check out the official page for more.