Friday, February 15, 2008

Agent Plainview

I finally got my butt into gear today and went to see Paul Thomas Anderson's There Will Be Blood. I liked it, but I'm still not entirely sure what I think of it. BUT as I was watching the final scene in the bowling alley I couldn't help but think that Daniel Day-Lewis' performance as Daniel Plainview was reminding me of someone else. It wasn't anyone with the last name Huston as many others think. And it was just that final scene.

On my way home I kept thinking about it and realised it was the voice and the way Day-Lewis spoke. So it kept going through my mind, and then I was doing a chain of quotes hoping a word would trigger it and, voila, the "I hate everybody" line lead me to "I hate this place", which lead me to "it's the smell" and then I had to figure out what the hell that line of dialogue from what.

And then I figured it out.


Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith in The Matrix! And then I was kind of confused because that's so random, right?

But, yes, the movie? Hmmm. B+...?

10 comments:

Paul Martin said...

Hi Glenn. I completely agreed with you. I made the connection straight away. The voice and intonation was virtually identical.

I liked the film, but it's not my favourite PT Anderson film. I like Daniel Day-Lewis, and while he showed more restraint than he did in Gangs of New York, I don't think he showed enough. I don't know if any other actor could have played the role as well, but it still didn't work as well as I thought it should have.

Catherine said...

Yep, I've heard that connection before.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Well that's good to hear.

RC said...

how funny...i still haven't had a chance to see this and i'm gearing up to see it this week...hopefully i'm not seeing agent smith, because that connection just seems way too odd.

every time i see the preview and see paul dano going crazy, that's where i'm like "Whoa...this looks bizarre."

i'm used to over-the-top-day-lewis but paul dano...i don't know

scooterzz said...

if you gat a chance, check out any of the later john houston films...ddl's diction and cadence are remarkably similar...

hope you don't mind my intrusion to your blog but i've been trying to find info on the hedda gabler doc you recently posted about and can't find a thing...was it a theatrical or vid?...or maybe a tv show?...any assist appreciated...thanks...

Kamikaze Camel said...

do u have an email scooterzz?

nick plowman said...

I cannot wait to see this film, it is only released in South Africa on March 7....so sad!!

Anonymous said...

kam --

votd1@aol.com

scooterzz

Catherine said...

I didn't mean my comment to sound offensive, if I did! I'm sorry.

Kamikaze Camel said...

No, I was just glad that others had seen/heard the connection and I wasn't just a weirdy.