Thursday, January 31, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 31/01/08

3:10 to Yuma - This double Oscar nominated western finally gets released here. I am very much looking forward to watching Russell Crowe (I am still a very big fan), listening to Marco Beltrami's acclaimed score and to see if Ben Foster can woo me out of my self-contained Foster Bomb Shelter. I loathed his performance in Hostage so much that I would call it the worst performance of this decade (so far) so, needless to say, I'm not that keen on the man, but he's gotten great notices so maybe... just maybe...

The Jane Austen Book Club - I was surprised that this movie went limited in America, because it seemed like the sort of movie that could do well. At least moderately so. The ads and the trailers that I have been seeing everywhere are all very blah and aren't that enticing considering the cast involved - Emily Blunt, Kathy Baker, Maria Bello and others - but I'm sure it'll make a nice little fortune down here where this sort of movie usually does well.

Killer of Sheep - This black and white 1977 film by Charles Burnett (To Sleep with Anger) finally sees the light of day after three decades. It was released in America just last year and now starts it's exclusive run down here. I believe it's screening at ACMI here in Melbourne, but I'm not sure what it's plans are for other states.

Sydney White - Sometimes I feel like they're not even trying anymore, ya know?

DVD Releases for the Week 31/01/08

Bug - This William Friedkin-directed adaption of the stage play finally sees a release in Australia. A direct-to-DVD release. Yup.

Surf's Up - Academy Award-nominated Surf's Up.

Well then, that's a short week.


Dave said...

You MUST see Bug as soon as is humanly possible. I demand it.

J.D. said...

So do I! It's, like, insane. It made my brain barf though. But Judd is brilliant.

See it.