Thursday, January 17, 2008

This Week on Australian Screens

For whatever reason I seemed to have skipped this the last two weeks. Alas, here it is.

Cinema Releases for the Week 17/01/08

Cloverfield - The original trailer was excellent. The second trailer was decent. The TV ads are sorta lame. I'm more interested in hearing what audiences who haven't been inundated with this movie's annoying advertising campaign have to say. All the fanboys will come out to geek, but what of the people who had to ask people like me "What's Cloverfield?" just a few days ago.

Juno - Australia becomes, I think, the first international territory to get Gilmore Girls: The Movie Juno starring a lightning fast Ellen Page and co. The ads have been all over television and not just pissy 10 second ones, proper 30-second mini-trailers. I've seen it so many times yet I still don't know what that girl says after Page tells her she's pregnant. Anybody...? Anyone...?

Can I just say I hate the skirt and jeans combo that Page wears on the poster. The skirt is entirely unnecessary!

The Kite Runner - *groan* Do I have to? No! No I don't! That awful trailer was enough to make me never want to see this movie. That it's director is Marc Forster just reinforced that belief.

Lust, Caution - Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain followup. Why is it that Ang Lee can have a new film a mere two years after his last yet some directors - far less technically proficient ones at that - seem to take much much longer? It's rated R18+ down here, which was good to here.

DVD Releases for the Week 17/01/08

BloodRayne II: Deliverance - When I realised that there was actually a sequel to Uwe Boll's BloodRayne I thought to myself "who could they possibly get who could do a worse job than Uwe Boll?" My question was quickly answered when I realised that Uwe Boll also directed this sequel. Aah. And when even Kristanna Loken (who?) decides not to reprise her role, you know you're in trouble!

Bratz - like, omigod!

Evan Almighty - In 2006 the mother went and saw Poseidon and liked it! I smacked my forehead and chuckled. And then I watched it - it was awful, but hilarious! <-I even created a drinking game! The mother also liked this movie a lot. Will it have the same fate? I doubt it. There is no urge within me to even begin to find out.

Keeping Up with the Steins - Aah, jewish comedy! Where would we be without it?

Lady Chatterley - Last year's big winner at the Cesar Awards in France, this is yet another adaptation of Lady Chatterley's Lover. Except this time it's apparently good.

FUN FACT - If you mistype the film's title into IMDb's search engine as "Lady Chatterly" it directs you instantly to this movie. Random.

Ratatouille - One of the year's very best was this Pixar animated film about a rat who likes to cook and the chef who can't. If all goes to plan this movie will be getting more than just a token animation nod at the Oscars, but will also get nominated for writing and it's score. Or they could fellate Sean Penn some more (who am I kidding? they've been doing that for years!)

The War on Democracy - John Pilger's documentary makes a speedy trip to DVD.

6 comments:

Rural Juror said...

Juno isn't that similar to Gilmore Girls.

And your initial thoughts on The Kite Runner are pretty spot on. It's fine, but there's nothing too exciting or interesting going on.

J.D. said...

Juno! Whoo!

Anonymous said...

Juno is anything but Gilmore Girls :) But I get where you're coming from with the snappy youngster dialogue. Ellen Page pulls it off, but Juno would have been a disaster with anybody less able.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I know it's not like Gilmore Girls outside of the quick pop dialogue.

Adem With An E said...

LOVED Juno, thought it was incredibly sweet and very funny, excellent cast, even Jennifer Garner, who I usually feel strange about. The movie was all about Allison Janney's performance for me though, who just seems to shine in EVERYTHING she does.

OCDaily said...

Haha, the Kite Runner's trailer is hilarious!

VOICEOVER: Now, to save his friend's brother.

It's like "Now, to save his friend's room mate's cousin" I lolled in the cinema.