Tuesday, January 22, 2008

RIP HEATH LEDGER?!?!

Fuck the Oscars, Heath Ledger has been found dead.

There are no words.

Literally. No words.

I actually think I'm going to cry.

I cried.

~-~

So, it's now three hours since I heard the news and it's still incredibly shocking. How did this happen? How is one of the finest actors of his generation - a man who gave the finest male performance of this decade so far, imho, in Brokeback Mountain - gone? Forever. It's something that is just so unfathomable. Such a popular, beautiful young man. It's interesting to think of how Ledger will be spoken of in ten, twenty, fifty years time. Just think of James Dean and River Pheonix!

Yahoo has a list of tributes from Australian identities:

Australian actress Nicole Kidman has expressed shock at Ledger's death.


"What a tragedy," Kidman said in a statement to celebrity news show Extra.


"My heart goes out to his family."


Hollywood actor John Travolta, in Australia to attend a benefit dinner, has described Ledger as "one of my favourite actors."


"His abilities are rare ... it's a tremendous loss," Travolta told Extra.


"It's hard to be here celebrating Australia under these circumstances."


Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said in a statement that it was with great sadness he learnt of Ledger's death.


"It is tragic that we have lost one of our nation's finest actors in the prime of his life," Mr Rudd said.


"Heath Ledger's diverse and challenging roles will be remembered as some of the great performances by an Australian actor.


Margaret Pomeranz from ABC TV's At The Movies says she is devastated by the news.


"I am so upset ... he's such a talented boy and really I think a beautiful soul," she said.


"I think to choose the roles he's chosen showed just such intelligence."


Pomeranz's co-star and fellow critic David Stratton says Ledger will be missed by the film industry.


"It is extremely sad, because he was so young - only 28 years old - and still so promising, yet he'd done some extraordinary things," he said.

And from the Herald Sun, this part was particularly sad:

Former flame Naomi Watts broke down in tears at the Sundance Film Festival.

Watts, who dated Ledger for two years, could not contain her emotions in at the festival in Utah, immediately crying upon hearing the news.

And it makes you wonder how there are actually people out there who are so devoid of emotion. There are several sites I've been to today where I just had to x out because there were actually people saying things like "he wasn't that good an actor, he won't be missed". Just terrible.

6 comments:

richardwatts said...

It's absolutely fucking tragic news.

JA said...

I'm having a really hard time even believing it. I haven't been able to get off-line since coming home from work. I'm paralyzed. Every time I step away from the computer for a second it hits me again. He's dead. He's really fucking dead, and we're never gonna see him live up to all that promise. It fucking sucks, man.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I know. I never expected to ever have to write this.

And it because I've been a fan of his since 1998 (or was it '99 he made Two Hands/10 Things) and he was like a part of my generation pretty much it's just even more saddening.

I feel like I need to get out of the house and go to the gym or something just tostop thinking about it. But then I don't wanna get all teary on the treadmill!

Paxton Hernandez said...

I'm in shock. Only two years older than me.

May he rest in peace.

adam k. said...

OK, I just found out yesterday that he was no longer with Michelle Williams. And now... WTF.

Although the more I think about it, the less this seems like a surprise. The constant nerviness, the seeming insecurity, the genius acting talent (especially at tortured roles)... in hindsight, he seems very much the type to have had this happen. Whether it be accidental, addiction-related, deliberate, or what-have-you. I only hope he's at peace now.

At least he left a lasting legacy in his films, and a beautiful child to be survived by. I feel so bad for her and her mother... I hope they make it out of this hellish time.

Adem With An E said...

I feel sick. I can't believe it.

I'm so incredibly sad.

I went to a friends place for a bit and was fine there, we laughed and watched some tv but as soon as I got home I just slumped again.

Fucking hell. :(