Thursday, January 10, 2008

How Imaginative

Look, I'm not black. I think we can all agree on that. And I have absolutely nothing against the NAACP Image Awards (The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People if you didn't know) - pretty much the only awards show where you will see Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married? nominated for any sort of best picture trophy.

No, I don't have any problem with them. Why would I? I mean, on occasions, they're just as silly as any other speciality awards show - up to and including the AFI awards, an award I vote for - when there just aren't enough options to choose from, resulting in silly nominations.

But while the awards seem to focus predominantly on the African-American side of "colored people" (maybe it shows my ignorance on the topic, but I thought that term was offensive?) there is a curious nomination for Angelina Jolie in A Mighty Heart. Thandie Newton must be furious! But, I suppose, she has her copy of Norbit to console herself with, right? RIGHT?! Poor gal.

Look, it's pretty simple, Ange ain't black. Much like myself, there ain't any point in denying that. "But she plays a biracial woman!" you cry. Yeah, well, about that. It's not like there aren't any perfectly capable black actresses who could have taken the part. I mean, hello, speaking of the actress who famously called Ange out for going "blackface" Thandie Newton is biracial! And she looks a helluva lot more like Marianne Pearl than Angelina fuckin' Jolie! Plus, I think we can all agree she can be a good actress when she feels like it. The casting of a white woman in the role of a woman that is quite obviously not white hardly "promote(s) diversity in the arts" that their nomination announcement claims.

We can only hope that Angelina shows up to the awards show with baby Zazadoo or whatever it's name is. That'll be a photo op made of hilarious.

Wait! Angelina Jolie wasn't even the reason I decided to make this entry. Ugh. No, the reason I was doing this entry was to be sad for the exclusion of my one my favourite 2007 films - Hairspray. It's not like nominating a musical is so strange, right? Music is a huge part of African-American culture, or am I off track on that thought?

But, the reason it's exclusion saddens me is because instead of the movie that preaches tolerance and acceptance of people from all races, a movie that features many African-Americans in it's cast (Queen Latifah and Elijah Kelly get poster credits, even) and one that embraces "black culture" got snubbed for something like the decent-but-still-crummy I Am Legend or American Gangster, which from the looks of it is filled with such diverse portrayals of black people ranging from "evil black drug runners" or "violent thugs". That's advancement for ya! I mean, they didn't even nominate Elijah Kelley! It's just sad is all.

They did, however, nominate somebody called "Denzel Whitaker" for best supporting actor The Great Debaters.

So, really - who the hell knows?

Oh, and they ignored Ten Canoes in the "Independent or Foreign Film" category. Needless to say, they fucked that shit up like Monday's breakfast.

Can I just say that I can't stand the show, but I love That's So Raven on principal. I mean, hello! She created an adjective. SHE CREATED AN ADJECTIVE!!!

PS; I have no idea what really lead to wanna write all this nonsence. It's 41 degrees and I'm all but melting into my seat.


J.D. said...

I remember Ziyi was nominated for Best Actress two years ago.

So I think they're blurring the line themselves.

RC said...

good is interesting.

it makes you scratch your head and ask, what they're thinkin' sometimes!