Friday, January 11, 2008

27 Reasons to Like 27 Dresses

I saw the incredibly delightful 27 Dresses tonight and here are 27 reasons why you should too!


1. It's a "romantic comedy" and that is actually romantic and comedic, a rare commodity in this day and age of the genre.

2. James Marsden.

3. James Marsden's cheek bones.

4. James Marsden and his cheek bones.

5. The "27 dresses" montage. Very very funny stuff.

6. Judy Greer

7. The chance to remember why Katherine Heigl is so effortlessly likable and to erase the horror that was the second half of Grey's Anatomy's third season with it's ridiculous Izzy/George infedelity storyline even though the first half of the season was spent showing Izzy mourning over the love of her life and whatnot.

8. "Benny Betty and the Jets"

9. Judy Greer.

10. The apartment that Katherine Heigl's character lives in. There is no way an assistant could ever affort that place, but it's so pretty.

11. James Marsden.

12. The opening duel wedding sequence.

13. The chance to see actual chemistry between the two stars of a romantic comedy.

14. The scene with the gift registry.

15. "Boobs?"

16. Solidifying for future reference that having "From the writer of The Devil Wears Prada" in your trailer is better than "From the producer of The Devil Wears Prada". Isn't that right Hilary?

17. James Marsden.

18. James Marsden's cheek bones.

19. James Marsden and his cheek bones.

18. Maulik Pancholy.

19. The yoga sequence.

20. That quote about sandwiches that I can't remember the exact wording of and I don't wanna ruin it because it was a funny quote!

21. Did I mention it's actually funny? It bares repeating

22. James Marsden.

23. James Marsden.

24. Judy Greer.

25. The soundtrack includes "Valerie" by Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse plus Rotary Connection's "Love Has Fallen On Me". How amazing is that?

26. The actual 27 dresses.

27. It's the best traditional rom-com since... In Her Shoes? Is that even a romantic comedy? I don't think so. I really can't think of a movie of this kind being as good as 27 Dresses in a long time. B+

It's been so long since I've been to a movie that was very nearly sold out, which this one was. The crowd loved it too. This one's gonna be big, I can tell. And just for future reference... JAMES MARSDEN!!!

20 comments:

Dave said...

It must be nice to get a (American, no less) movie before the rest of the world for a change, eh?

I'm really looking forward to this- I like romantic comedies when I am fans of the leads, and Heigl and Marsden are two of last year's biggest new stars on my horizons. So it's great to know you liked it.

The Playlist said...

Nice, what else is on the soundtrack? I'm going to link to this. Rotary Connection? That's AMAZING!

James Henry said...

Oh, I'm so glad that this movie is actually good. I would have seen it anyways because of James Marsden (swoon) but I wasn't sure about it's quality.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I'm actually questioninf myself as to whether it was actually Rotary Connection? I could swore I heard the music of that song by Common "Drivin' Me Wild", but it wasn't that song and the song sampled is the one I said, so... not sure. But, still, "Valerie"! I love that song!

As romantic comedies go it's seriously one of the best in ages. James Marsden and Judy Greer, quite obviously, steal the show.

GrrlGirl said...

I was getting worried for this movie because I had read so many bad reviews and stuff - I liked Marsden in Enchanted.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Clearly not everyone's going to like it and it's not the greatest romcom of all time, but it's good enough and considering the shite I've sat through (and the stuff I've completely ignored) I was just happy to finally see one that I liked.

Plus, a lot of the negative things I've read about it have all been of the "omg WORST MOVIE EVER!" variety, so...

Paul said...

James Marsden often comes across as too good looking on film (like in Hairspray or Enchanted) but by playing more natural in this film (compared to the other two) he was definitely hotter.

I liked the film a lot and had a few really good laughs. Even though you could map out the rest of the plot by the end of the first act, it was still enjoyable to watch.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Well yeah, it's as predictible as Christmas but so are most genre films.

Anonymous said...

Can someone please tell me the song from the scene when she takes down the bridesmaid dresses from her closet and throws them out? It sounded like bloc party or kings of leon. It's annoying me P.s Sorry if i ruined it....

Anonymous said...

what was the ray lamontagne song used in the movie? does anybody know?

Kamikaze Camel said...

Anon 2:05 - I believe it was "So Here We Are" by Bloc Party. I know that song was in the movie, but am not sure when exactly. But considering you mentioned Bloc Party I thought I'd say it incase it was right.

Also, "D.A.N.C.E." by Justice! That movie has a great soundtrack.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure the Ray LaMontagne song is "Be Here Now." He's fantastic!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic movie! Absolutely hilarious but yet appropirately romantic. I loved it! I think the Ray Lamontagne song is "Be Here Now" I agree :)

Anonymous said...

The song when she takes all her bridesmaid dresses out of the closet is Little Thoughts by Bloc Party.

I love the soundtrack to this movie.

Katherine Heigl is such an amazing actress, when i was watching this i didnt even connect her to Greys. James Marsden is quite a looker.
Judy Greer is amazingly funny when the need arises.

Kate said...

does anyone know the song that played, I think when she was coming home form the engagement party, that went "I'm in like with you, not yet in love with you"? I'm looking everywhere for it!

lucky said...

To everyone who metioned Ray Almontagne......thank you thank you thank you...."Be Here Now" is a beautiful song...but I had nooooo idea who sang it. Bye the way the song at the end of the movie at the wedding is by Chaka Khan. Common used pieces for his song with lily allen and Chaka took a little from Rotary Connection. thanks again guys.

tom said...

does anyone know the song from min 17 to 25, when she realized that her sister fell in love with her boss?and when she came home , she saw they were kissing together and the lyrics is : "oh no,oh no, you touch my soul, oh no oh no..." if u know , can u send me email to bongio4h@hotmail.com plz, thanks so much

schwul-und-liberal said...

James Marsden is a dream of a man!

Anonymous said...

The song is Who Knows? by Natasha Bedingfield

Erica said...

I couldn't agree more on the James Marsden reasons. The older he gets the better he looks. I really enjoyed the movie 27 Dresses. It's a feel good romantic comedy. Who doesn't love that?