Tuesday, January 8, 2008

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #57 - Straw Dogs

#57
Straw Dogs (1971)
Directed by Sam Peckinpah
Unknown Designer
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - USA



[click to enlarge]

Look, I really really hate Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs. I hate it so much I would name it one of my top ten most reviled movies. So, I ain't kidding. Which makes me feel a bit sad having to acknowledge that the film's poster is quite amazing. Such a deeply penetrating image of Dustin Hoffman with the broken glasses - the thing that symbolises his timid intellectual character more than anything out, shattered as he unravels. I hate the message, love the execution.

I must say, I find this alternate design really quite perlexing. I mean, I really didn't like the movie, but I was still watching it and I don't remember an actual dog made out of straw. Or am I wrong on that part?

No comments: