Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Those NBR Nutjobs

Didn't I say Ben Affleck would win best directorial debut? DIDN'T I?!? In fact the NBR liked Family Affleck quite a bit this year with awards to Ben, Casey and Amy Ryan who was in Ben's film! You just know they're laughing at Matt Damon and Brad Pitt respectively in their minds. Nevertheless, with those National Board of Review awards came in and I got a bunch of them correct. I correctly predicted best picture would go to No Country for Old Men, that Ellen Page would win breakthrough actress, that Ben Affleck thing, Ratatouille for animated film respectively and predicted five of their top ten. Although I assumed their best picture winner was a part of their top ten, which it apparently is not, according to the list below, same with foreign film. They had a top five plus Diving Bell and the Butterfly winning best foreign film. Weird.

THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD
ATONEMENT
THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM
THE BUCKET LIST
INTO THE WILD
JUNO
THE KITE RUNNER
LARS AND THE REAL GIRL
MICHAEL CLAYTON
SWEENEY TODD

Random. The Assassination of Jesse James was my #11. I was tossing up between that, 3:10 to Yuma and Control and decided to throw the odd one out (that'd be Control) into the list. Oh well. Two of the titles I predicted for their top ten actually ended up in their top ten "independent film" list.

AWAY FROM HER
GREAT WORLD OF SOUND
HONEYDRIPPER
IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH
A MIGHT HEART
THE NAMESAKE
ONCE
THE SAVAGES
STARTING OUT IN THE EVENING
WAITRESS

The annoying thing with the NBR and predicting is that because they spread the wealth so much if you predict one movie for a category then you tend to not pick it for anything else. I had originally put down Emile Hirsch for breakthrough actor, but I had predicted Sean Penn for director so I changed Hirsch's spot to Sam Riley (Control). And I gave Michael Clayton original screenplay so didn't think to give Clooney best actor. And same for all the other categories.

Can somebody explain how The Bucket List got on there though. That's a bit... odd.

3 comments:

adam k. said...

I am still proud of myself for my complete 100% confidence in Julie Christie. I got that one. Also got original screenplay and both breakthroughs. And I had No Country at #2, which is sort of close to predicting it for best pic. Also, I had Affleck as an alternate for debut. And I definitely considered picking Tim Burton for Sweeney Todd, but decided on Depp instead. Coulda gone either way. Glad it's getting love, though, in any case.

I'm glad you liked the Hugh pic! Isn't it yummy?

RC said...

i know the nbr spreads the love but i'm surprised with affleck love gone baby gone didn't make the list?

and what's up with the seperate independent list????

Kamikaze Camel said...

It's so they can appear to be nice towards the indie crowd while also starfucking to the best of their abilities.

I too was surprised that for a list of, essentially, 21 movies they didn't put Gone Baby Gone on there despite liking Affleck's direction and Amy Ryan's perf enough to give them awards.