Wednesday, December 12, 2007

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 13/12/07

Eagle vs Shark - A romantic comedy of sorts from New Zealand about two people who find love by getting revenge on high school bullies and eating burgers. New Zealand comedy has been becoming more and more noticable these last couple of years with the likes of Sione's Wedding and the Bro's Town series. Will this break out from the arthouse ghetto? It certainly looks much better than the terrible Sione's Wedding, that's for sure.

Hunting and Gathering - A French romance starring Audrey Tautou. Yeah, another one.

Mr Margorium's Wonder Emporium - I admittedly wanted to see this when I saw the trailer at the cinema, but the TV ads have been disastrously bad.

Private Fears in Public Places (aka Coeurs) - This was actually released last week I think and I missed it. This French film by Alain Resnais won best actress and director at last year's Venice Film Festival, not to mention being nominated for a swag of Cesar awards.

DVD Releases for the Week 13/12/07

Black Snake Moan - I quite liked Craig Brewer's followup Hustle & Flow (read: I really liked it). It stars Christina Ricci in her best performance since 1999's The Opposite of Sex and Samuel L Jackson in his best performance since... I dunno. His best in a long time, let's just say that. Also features S Epatha Merkerson, John Cothran and Justin Timberlake.

Bring It On: In It To Win - That's five two-letter words in a row in that title! I loved the original Bring It On, but the first sequel was terrible so I can't even imagine how bad this fourth enstallment is.

Die Hard 4.0 (aka Live Free or Die Hard) - Die Hard, Rambo, Rocky, Indiana Jones, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... as Peter Allen once sang, everything old is new again.

Haven - Something with Orlando Bloom made several years ago. It does have Bobby Cannavale in it though and y'all know how I love him.

I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - In the ongoing saga of "did they or didn't they" the filmmakers behind the Australian hit comedy Strange Bedfellows have finally decided to sue the makers of Chuck and Larry. Yeehaw! Let it begin...

I Want Candy - I'd just like to ponder something here. On this movie's IMDb page under the "keywords" function it has "masturbation scene", "sex" and "lesbian kiss". Then, randomly, "What happened to epilogue". I don't know about you but I sometimes walk out of a cinema going "what happened to epilogue"... don't you?

3 comments:

Rural Juror said...

Audrey Tatuou makes no other kind of film

Kamikaze Camel said...

The Da Vinci Code!!!!

:P

J.D. said...

The Da Vinci Code wasn't a French romance film?

Hm.