Saturday, December 1, 2007


One of the worst things any Australian can do is put on Rage as they're about to go to bed on a Friday or Saturday night. Any Australian will tell you the peril of such an act. If you're tired and are about to go to bed and you turn on Rage it's a good bet that you won't actually be falling asleep for a while. Why? Because Rage is, I assume, what MTV used to be. Non-stop music videos from the past and present. If you put on Rage and see a song you like you watch it and then there's usually another good song after that. And even if a good song is followed by a bad one you tend to think "Hmmm, I'll see what comes on after this." Once I stayed up until 4am just watching classic music videos when I had intended to go to bed at 1am. Nice.

Last night they were replaying their "20 years of Rage" thing and there was an amazing stretch of videos. Oh to have grown up in the 1980s (I was born too late in life.)

Barry Adamson - "The Man With the Golden Arm"
S-Express - "Theme from S-Express"
Neneh Cherry - "Buffalo Stance"
Ice-T - "Colors"
Happy Mondays - "Wrote for Luck"
INXS - "Never Tear Us Apart"
The Church - "Under the Milky Way"
Bob Dylan - "Subterranean Homesick Blues"
The Go-Betweens - "Streets of Your Town"
Crowded House - "Better Be Home Soon"
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - "Higher Ground"
The Pixies - "Monkey Gone to Heaven"
Hunters and Collectors - "River Run Dry"
Ciccone Youth - "Addicted to Love"
Madonna - "Express Yourself"

I know, right? Pretty much all of that run are bonafide brilliant classics. I decided to include some clips below. There's the clip for Cherry's "Buffalo Stance" (one of my all-time favourite songs), "Theme from S-Express" and INXS's iconic "Never Tear Us Apart". Enjoy.

Later in the night they even put together Madonna's "Justify My Love" and Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game". I'm glad I had gone to sleep by that point because my head would have exploded at the sight and sound of it.

No comments: