Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Golden Globe Nominations: I Did Good!

The nominees for the Golden Globe awards are in and I did pretty darn good in several categories (who could ever predict seven best picture (drama) nominees?) I was very right about the lack of support for Sean Penn's Into the Wild and Irish musical Once. Below are the nominees, bolded nominees are ones that correlate with my predictions

(I'd put images in here, but I'm too tired, okay)

Best Picture - Drama
American Gangster
Eastern Promises
The Great Debaters
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Well, seriously! In their damn nearest effort to before the retched Broadcast Film Critics Association, the Globes feel the need to nominate seven films here! Naturally, the perils of having such a small member population means that ties are more common here than with the Academy. Nevertheless, the five movies I predicted plus my alternate (There Will Be Blood) made it so technically I got 6/7. Go me. David Cronenberg's Eastern Promises got the seventh spot. Good for him.

Best Picture - Musical/Comedy
Across the Universe
Charlie Wilson's War
Sweeney Todd

Yeah, I got 4/5, but my alternate was Across the Universe, which got in at the expense of my predicted Enchanted.

Best Actor - Drama
George Clooney, Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood

James McAvoy, Atonement
Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises
Denzel Washington, American Gangster

I got 3/5 here, although McAvoy was my alternate. I foolishly kicked him out at the last minute, but I kicked him out for Washington, so take that as you will. I tried a little experiment by predicting Josh Brolin (No Country) and Frank Langella (Standing in the Evening), neither made it.

Best Actress - Drama
Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie, Away from Her
Jodie Foster, The Brave One
Angelina Jolie, A Mighty Heart
Keira Knightley, Atonement

A monkey could have predicted those five.

Best Actor - Musical/Drama
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
Ryan Gosling, Lars and the Real Girl
Tom Hanks, Charlie Wilson's War
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Savages
John C Reilly, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

I alternate was Gosling, but I had Don Cheadle (Talk to Me) and Steve Carell (Dan in Real Life) in my predix instead. Can I take a bow for predicting John C Reilly? I wonder how many predicted him? Cause I did. Me. I. I did. Yes.

Best Actress - Musical/Comedy
Amy Adams, Enchanted
Nikki Blonsky, Hairspray
Helena Bonham Carter, Sweeney Todd
Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose
Ellen Page, Juno

My wish that Cotillard would receive a big ol thumbs down ended up not coming true, but I did predict 5/5. I thought they'd stretch the category out to six when it actually warrented it (unlike best picture which did not need seven nominees to be complete) and they'd throw in Nicole Kidman (Margot at the Wedding). Alas, I was right in my ditching of The Lovely Laura Linney for Nikki Blonsky.

Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
John Travolta, Hairspray

Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton

My gamble with dumping Wilkinson for Sweeney Todd's Sasha Baron Cohen proved fruitless, but oh well. If you include my alternate I did get 5/5. This category is a race to the finish between Bardem's sadistic killer and Travolta's jolly all-singing all-dancing mother. Who else reckons Travola is going to take this award? I do. Very happy for Affleck, even if it is category fraud, but considering they nominated Jamie Foxx here for Collateral and he went on to an Oscar nod for that so all signs point to an Affleck nod! Yay! I loved that performance.

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Julia Roberts, Charlie Wilson's War
Saoirse Ronan, Atonement
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton

I am sososos happy for Tilda Swinton! Just... over the moon! I initially had Ronan for Atonement and then had flashbacks to Toni Collette/Abigail Breslin so I changed the Atonement pick to Vanessa Redgrave, but then I changed it back it Saoirse and I'm glad I did. 4/5 here, and Julia was an alternate.

Best Director
Tim Burton, Sweeney Todd
Ethan and Joel Coen, No Country for Old Men

Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Ridley Scott, American Gangster
Joe Wright, Atonement

My initial hesitation for predicting American Gangster for best picture proved silly considering it cleaned up actor and director noms that I didn't predict. And as much as I have thought Schnabel has been on the road to an Oscar nod for months now I just didn't think it was a nomination that the HFPA would commit to. Oh well. I correctly got Burton, Coen and Wright though. I had taken punts on Sean Penn (whose film died a quick but eviscerally painful death at the hands of the HFPA) and Paul Thomas Anderson (whose film even made the shortlist!)

Best Screenplay
Charlie Wilson's War

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
No Country for Old Men

I, yet again, didn't even have The Diving Bell and the Butterfly's script (by Ronald Harwood) as an alternate. I was worried they'd snub Atonement here, but they didn't so yay for that and I was always confident Aaron Sorkin's work on Charlie Wilson's War would be nominated even if I wasn't as confident about the film elsewhere (I needn't have worried).

Best Original Song
"Despidida", Love in the Time of Cholera
"Grace is Gone", Grace is Gone
"Guaranteed", Into the Wild
"That's How You Know", Enchanted
"Walk Hard", Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Everyone. Shakira is a Golden Globe nominee!!!LOLZ! You know, if I had the original song rundown before making predictions I would have predicted a song from Walk Hard (Judd Apatow got his nomination!), alas I only got ONE prediction right. Not sure what I was doing when I didn't predict "That's How You Know" - how bizarre of me. Also, Clint Eastwood co-wrote "Grace is Gone". Thank you! I was surprised to not see "Falling Slowly" from Once nominated but am glad they gave Hairspray's "Come So Far" the shove with a hot firey poker that it deserves.

Best Original Score
Michael Brook, Kaki King, Eddie Vedder, Into the Wild
Clint Eastwood, Grace is Gone
Alberto Iglesias, The Kite Runner
Dario Marianelli, Atonement
Howard Shore, Eastern Promoses

See, I told ya Clint Eastwood would be nominated here. I didn't predict him in song though, but between them he has two nominations. That's crazy! Shore's work for Eastern Promises didn't even enter my mind, quite frankly.

Best Animated Feature
Bee Movie
The Simpsons Movie

Those last two were obvious if you ask me, but Bee Movie over Beowulf? I can live with it (Beowulf was technically amazing, but blah elsewhere).

Best Foreign Language Film
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
The Kite Runner
Lust, Caution


I had Spanish scary flick The Orphanage instead of Persepolis, which I thought they may have handicapped for being animated. I got the other four right though and I'm super happy they didn't go for La Vie en Rose. Am I right, folks?

So, that's it - I'm not bothering with the television side of the awards - I think I did pretty darn good if I say so myself. How about you?


Cal said...

You have my eternal respect for the Reilly shout.

GayAsXmas said...

This time of year is always frustrating, as the only main awards contender on the list that I have been able to see is Atonement. But a part of me wishes that Ratatouille's script had got a bit more notice. It is the most 'literary' of all the Pixar films, and frankly, one of the most beautifully written films of the year