Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Glenn Predicts the Golden Globes!

Because I am a masochist and I like to torture myself with long arduous (and entirely pointless) excursions into blindness. Let's get started!

Best Picture - Drama
American Gangster
Atonement
The Great Debaters
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men

alt: There Will Be Blood

That American Gangster nomination doesn't make a lick of sense in retrospect - I'm not predicting it for anything else (okay, I discovered there's an original song in there so I put that in my predictions, and I've bumped McAvoy for Washington. They are starfuckers after all). LOL, whatever. Maybe they'll go loopy on us! The Great Debaters is in there purely because I feel skeptical about There Will Be Blood and Into the Wild. Hmmm... For the record, I submitted I'm Not There for The Great Debators.

Best Picture - Musical/Comedy
Charlie Wilson's War
Enchanted
Hairspray
Juno
Sweeney Todd

alt: Across the Universe

I dunno. There could be several others titles show up.

Best Actor - Drama
Josh Brolin, No Country for Old Men
George Clooney, Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Frank Langella, Starting Out in the Evening
Denzel Washington, American Gangster / The Great Debators

alt: James McAvoy, Atonement

Taking a punt on Brolin (I'm thinking he'll be Oscar shortlisted) and Langella (I'm thinking he won't be Oscar shortlisted) just for some giggles.

Best Actor - Musical/Comedy
Steve Carell, Dan in Real Life
Don Cheadle, Talk To Me
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Savages
John C Reilly, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
alt: Ryan Gosling, Lars and the Real Girl

How can the musical/comedy section be so strong for women and so barren for men? Yikes! For the record - I swapped out Gosling for Cheadle.

Best Actress - Drama
Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie, Away From Her
Jodie Foster, The Brave One
Keira Knightley, Atonement
Angelina Jolie, A Mighty Heart

alt: Tang Wei, Lust Caution

I don't see how it could go any other way unless they throw a curveball like Wei and Ashley Judd or - and this could conceivably occur - Cate Blanchett for I'm Not There.

Best Actress - Musical/Comedy
Amy Adams, Enchanted
Helena Bonham Carter, Sweeney Todd
Nikki Blonsky, Hairspray
Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose
Nicole Kidman, Margot at the Wedding
Ellen Page, Juno
alt: Laura Linney, The Savages or Katherine Heigl, Knocked Up or Keri Russell, Waitress or any other remotely comedic/musical film released this year.

AAAGH! Even at six predictions I can't figure it out. I begrudgingly threw out The Lovely Laura Linney. I just took a chance with Blonsky. I fully intend to get this category entirely wrong though.

Best Supporting Actor
Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Sasha Baron Cohen, Sweeney Todd
Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
John Travolta, Hairspray
alt: Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton

I dunno. I'm just going out on a limb and not predicting Wilkinson. Will probably prove to be a fumble, but oh well...

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Michelle Pfeiffer, Hairspray
Sioase Ronan, Atonement
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton

alt: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Margot at the Wedding or Julia Roberts, Charlie Wilson's War or Catherine Keener, Into the Wild or Vanessa Redgrave, Atonement or...

And they say there are no roles for women... (omg that was a bit rude, wasn't it? I mean, it's not like we're overflowing with candidates but the women really stacked up the roles this year compared to the boring ol' men)

Best Director
Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Tim Burton, Sweeney Todd
Joel and Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men
Sean Penn, Into the Wild
Joe Wright, Atonement
alt: Ridley Scott, American Gangster

You don't need to be the director of a nominated film to be nominated here (sure, it helps) so I'm taking a punt on Anderson and Penn who I feel much more confident predicting here than in best picture with their respective films.

Best Screenplay
Atonement
Charlie Wilson's War
Juno
No Country for Old Men
There Will Be Blood

alt: American Gangster, Michael Clayton and I'm Not There

God, I dunno. I dunno. I swapped Michael Clayton and I'm Not There back and forth so many times that I decided to drop them both and throw in Aaron Sorkin's work on Charlie Wilson's War. Blah. I have a feeling Atonement will not show up...

Best Animated Film
Beowulf
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie


As opposed to...?

Best Foreign Film
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
The Kite Runner
Lust, Caution
The Orphanage


This seems way too high profile, but whatevs.

Best Original Song
"Do You Feel Me", American Gangster (Diane Warren)
"Lyra", The Golden Compass (Kate Bush)
"Come So Far (Got So Far To Go)", Hairspray (I don't care because they should be spruking "Ladie's Choice")
"Guaranteed", Into the Wild (Eddie Veddar)
"Falling Slowly", Once (Glen Hansard and that annoying chick)
alt: Is there anyone else who's famous who has an original song in contention?

Best Original Score
Nick Cave, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Alexandre Desplat, Lust, Caution
Clint Eastwood, Grace is Gone
Osvaldo Golijov, Youth Without Youth
Dario Marianelli, Atonement

alt: Michael Giacchino, Ratatouille or Jonny Greenwood, There Will Be Blood

They tend to throw in an entirely random score that came from nowhere and is composed by a noname so I threw in Golijov for Coppola's Youth Without Youth. Their music branch is so weird some(all?)times. Just for the record, I took Greenwood out and replaced with him Eastwood.

So there you go. I intend to get roughly 50% correct and the other 50% incredibly wrong. I'd like to know though... what ever will they do without anything to nominate Meryl Streep for? Unless they nominate her for Rendition or something, which would be hilariously tragic and tragically hilarious all at the same time.

3 comments:

James Henry said...

I agree that "Ladies' Choice" should be a Best Song nominee over "Come So Far". It's a good song and everything, but "Ladies' Choice" actually fits into the movie and is a much stronger song.

Chris said...

It's funny because I just put my predictions on my blog thinking mine were really special since I'm predicting Sasha Baron Coen and not Tom Wilkinson.

Anyway it's almost impossible to tell what these people nominate. But I like your predictions.

adam k. said...

I am predicting both Sacha Baron Cohen AND Tom Wilkinson.

Also, yes, Shakira has songs eligible from Love in the Time of Cholera. I'm predicting her, I think.