Sunday, December 2, 2007

Ghost Ridiculous

Ghost Rider is unfortunately not a feature film adaptation of one of the 1990s most amazing kids programs Ghost Writer, but is instead 100 minutes of utterly ridiculous nonsense. I can't say I didn't laugh myself silly though. From the opening seconds of this stupid stupid movie I couldn't help but point out the ridiculousness of it all. Why did they cast someone (that'd be Matt Day) who looks absolutely nothing like Nicolas Cage to play the younger version of him? And why do all the actors in the early part appear to be mimicing bad soap actors, including the one that looks and sounds exactly like Chris Cooper? How come they describe the central plot at least five times and I still have no idea what the fuck was going on?

I was chuckling as characters sprout dialogue like "Mephestopheles! I knew you would be here!", "We were on the gravy train with biscuit wheels before you showed up", "He may have my soul, but he doesn't have my spirit" and "Give me the contract of San Venganza!" How anybody in the cast (which includes Cage, Peter Fonda, Eva Mendes and Wes Bentley) took anything in this movie seriously it beyond me. I'm sure "Ghost Rider" works perfectly well in comic book form, but yikes, does it not translate whatsoever. It all looks incredibly ridiculous with flaming skulls and silly facial transformations. It's like one big joke.

Perhaps the greatest pleasure though came from seeing the use of Melbourne in the film, as it was filmed here. Seeing actress Rebel Wilson put on a (yes) ridiculous American accent, watching Cage ride down a bizarrely barren Collins St or, best of all, riding over the Southbank Archway on his flaming motorbike. Teehee, ridiculous!

That Ghost Rider was written (well, in that there was a script but I'd hardly call it "writing") and directed by Mark Steven Johnson who also adapted the DareDevil comics to the screen in that woeful Ben Affleck vehicle several years ago. I must say that Ghost Rider is an even worse film that that, but I got more laughs out of it than most movies masquerading as comedies. That Terminator 2 ripoff of a finale though was less ridiculous than it was plain boring. D- or B- for being so outrageously ridiculous. So let's call it a comfortable median of C-.

3 comments:

Barry said...

It's crap. I gave it a C- too.

Joel said...

The 2 low points for me where the bit where he rides his flaming bike in the yarra river, and that he defeats the water baddie by pulling him under water (or something).
I gave it a D.

Kamikaze Camel said...

I had no idea what was going on for about 95% of the movie so I just have to laugh at it.