Wednesday, December 5, 2007

2007 AFI Predictions


Tonight Geoffrey Rush waltzs onto the AFI stage to host the Industry Awards of the AFI. These are the awards for things like cinematography and music because they were deemed unimportant and the people involved are not fit to sit in the same room as Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman, Eric Bana, Joan Chen, Anthony LaPaglia and so on.

Tomorrow night Rush walks out again to host the major ceremony that awards the "best" in Australian film and television. Here are my predictions for who who win, plus who I would like to see win (and thus, most likely will not). I predict they will tread the safe and blah line with movies like Romulus, My Father and The Home Song Stories, which are easy digestible movies that aren't bad so much as they aren't that good.

BEST FILM
The Home Song Stories
Lucky Miles
Noise
Romulus, My Father

Predicted Winner: Romulus, My Father
Alternate: The Home Song Stories
My Choice: Noise
Should've Been Nominated: The Jammed Rogue

BEST DIRECTION
Cherie Nowlan - Clubland
Tony Ayres - The Home Song Stories
Mathew Saville - Noise
Richard Roxburgh - Romulus, My Father

Predicted Winner: Tony Ayres, The Home Song Stories
Alternate: Richard Roxburgh, Romulus, My Father
My Choice: Matthew Saville, Noise
Should've Been Nominated: Greg McLean, Rogue

BEST LEAD ACTOR
Qi Yuwu - The Home Song Stories
Brendan Cowell - Noise
Eric Bana - Romulus, My Father
Kodi Smit-McPhee - Romulus, My Father

Predicted Winner: Eric Bana, Romulus, My Father
Alternate: Brendan Cowell, Noise
My Choice: Brendan Cowell, Noise
Should've Been Nominated: Matthew Newton, The Bet

BEST LEAD ACTRESS
Brenda Blethyn - Clubland
Joan Chen - The Home Song Stories
Kerry Armstrong - Razzle Dazzle
Franke Potente - Romulus, My Father

Predicted Winner: Joan Chen, The Home Song Stories
Alternate: Brenda Blethyn, Clubland
My Choice: Joan Chen, The Home Song Stories
Should've Been Nominated: This is a strong final four, although a case could be made for Radha Mitchell in Rogue

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Frankie J. Holden - Clubland
Richard Wilson - Clubland
Marton Csokas - Romulus, My Father
Russell Dykstra - Romulus, My Father

Predicted Winner: Frankie J Holdon, Clubland
Alternate: Marton Csokas, Romulus, My Father
My Choice: Frankie J Holdon, Clubland
Should've Been Nominated: Rodney Afif, Lucky Miles

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Sibylla Budd - The Bet
Emma Booth - Clubland
Irene Chen - The Home Song Stories
Esme Melville - Romulus, My Father

Predicted Winner: Sibylla Budd, The Bet
Alternate: Esme Melville, Romulus, My Father
My Choice: Emma Booth, Clubland
Should've Been Nominated: Maia Thomas, Noise

BEST SCREENPLAY (ORIGINAL OR ADAPTED)
Clubland - Keith Thompson
The Home Song Stories - Tony Ayres
Lucky Miles - Helen Barnes & Michael James Rowland
Noise - Mathew Saville
Romulus, My Father - Nick Drake

Predicted Winner: Romulus, My Father
Alternate: Clubland
My Choice: Noise
Should've Been Nominated: An argument could be made for The Bet

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Clubland - Mark Wareham ACS
The Home Song Stories - Nigel Bluck
Noise - Laszlo Baranyai ACS
Romulus, My Father - Geoffrey Simpson ACS

Predicted Winner: Noise
Alternate: The Home Song Stories
My Choice: Noise
Should've Been Nominated: Rogue

I really hope Noise wins here. It's the best cinematography of 2007 in general, but I can see them going with Home or Father in a Children of Men/Pan's Labyrinth situation. ugh...

BEST EDITING
Clubland - Scott Gray
The Home Song Stories - Denise Haratzis ASE
Noise - Geoff Hitchins
Romulus, My Father - Suresh Ayyar ASE

Predicted Winner: The Home Song Stories
Alternate: Noise
My Choice: Noise
Should've Been Nominated: Rogue

BEST SOUND
Clubland - Andrew Neil, Ian McLoughlin CAS, Liam Egan & Stephen Jackson-Vaughan
The Home Song Stories - Craig Carter, James Harvey, Andrew Neil & John Wilkinson
Noise - Emma Bortignon, Doron Kipen & Philippe Decrausaz
Romulus, My Father - Sam Petty, Gary Wilkins CAS & Phil Heywood

Predicted Winner: Noise
Alternate: Clubland
My Choice: Noise
Should've Been Nominated: Rogue

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC SCORE
The Home Song Stories - Antony Partos
Noise - Byrony Marks
Razzle Dazzle - Roger Mason & Green Dragon
Romulus, My Father - Basil Hogios

Predicted Winner: The Home Song Stories
Alternate: Romulus, My Father
My Choice: Noise
Should've Been Nominated: Rogue

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Clubland - Nell Hanson
The Home Song Stories - Melinda Doring
Noise - Paddy Reardon
Romulus, My Father - Robert Cousins

Predicted Winner: The Home Song Stories
Alternate: Romulus, My Father
My Choice: The Home Song Stories
Should've Been Nominated: The Bet

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Clubland - Emily Seresin
The Home Song Stories - Cappi Ireland
Razzle Dazzle - Ariane Weiss
Romulus, My Father - Jodie Fried

Predicted Winner: The Home Song Stories
Alternate: Razzle Dazzle
My Choice: Razzle Dazzle
Should've Been Nominated: N/A

INTERNATIONAL AWARD FOR BEST ACTOR
Eric Bana - Lucky You
Julian McMahon - Nip/Tuck (Nine Network)
Hugh Jackman - The Prestige
Dominic Purcell - Prison Break (Seven Network)

Predicted Winner: Julian McMahon, Nip/Tuck
Alternate: Hugh Jackman, The Prestige
My Choice: Hugh Jackman, The Prestige
Should've Been Nominated: Hugh Jackman, The Fountain

INTERNATIONAL AWARD FOR BEST ACTRESS
Rachel Griffiths - Brothers & Sisters (Seven Network)
Rose Byrne - Damages (Nine Network)
Jacinda Barrett - The Last Kiss
Toni Collette - Little Miss Sunshine

Predicted Winner: Rose Byrne, Damages
Alternate: Toni Collette, Little Miss Sunshine
My Choice: Rachel Griffiths, Brothers & Sisters
Should've Been Nominated: Natalie Mendoza for The Descent might have been a nice crazy nomination!

AFI YOUNG ACTOR AWARD
Irene Chen - The Home Song Stories
Joel Lok - The Home Song Stories
Corey McKernan - Lockie Leonard (Nine Network)
Kodi Smit-McPhee - Romulus, My Father

Predicted Winner: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Romulus, My Father
Alternate: Irene Chen, The Home Song Stories
My Choice: Irene Chen, The Home Song Stories
Should've Been Nominated: Someone from Razzle Dazzle

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Air Australia: Canvas & Sticks - David Rutherford, Reigy Skwarko, Paul Siciliano, Delon Govender
Crocodile Dreaming - Kirsty Millar & Chad Malbon
Rogue - Andrew Hellen, Dave Morley & Jason Bath
Spider - Mike Seymour

Predicted Winner: Rogue
Alternate: Crocodile Dreaming

BEST DOCUMENTARY
4 - Joanna Buggy, Tim Slade
Forbidden Lie$ - Sally Regan & Anna Broinowski
Global Haywire - Claude Gonzalez
Words from the City - Philippa Campey

Predicted Winner: Forbidden Lie$
Alternate: Words from the City
My Choice: Forbidden Lie$

BEST SHORT ANIMATION
An Imaginary Life - Steve Baker
The Bat and the Butterfly (Dust Echoes 2) - Michael Wagner & Dave Jones
The Girl Who Swallowed Bees - Justine kerrigan & Paul McDermott
The Goat That Ate Time - Lucinda Schreiber

Predicted Winner: The Goat That Ate Time
Alternate: The Girl Who Swallowed Bees
My Choice: The Girl Who Swallowed Bees

BEST SHORT FICTION FILM
Boy's Own Story - Michael Petroni & Jamie Hilton
Dugong - Melanie Brunt & Erin White
Spike Up - Anthony Maras & Kent Smith
Swing - Louise Pascale & Christopher Houghton

Predicted Winner: Dugong
Alternate: Swing
My Choice: Swing


To see all the nominees click on over to the AFI website. I'll let you know how I did tomorrow evening.

1 comment:

MidnightAngel said...

Hugh Jackman acting superbly in The Prestige should have been the
winner without a doubt. Why is this talented actor not recognised yet...............he never disappoints in his performances and has saved a few films by his talent and presence alone

MidnightAngel