Saturday, December 29, 2007

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #59 - A Nightmare on Elm Street

#59
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Directed by Wes Craven
Unknown Designer
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - Germany



[click to enlarge]

I am blatantly aware that Freddy has more than three claws on his glove, just as I am aware that the street represented in the above poster for Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street does not even appear to be Elm Street. But, what I am keenly aware of is that the idea behind this poster is brilliant. A Nightmare on Elm Street plays with reality, illusion and the line between the two (as well as being a frightening lil scarer) and I think the German (it is German, right?) does a much better job at creating a mystique than the more common American design, which is good in it's own right, but doesn't have the originality of the foreign design.

I also think this poster does one of the finest jobs I've seen of making suburbia scary. The street light, the blue twilight and the omnipresent light seeping out from house windows should be a lovely sight, but the claws ripping through the image throw all that away and create a sense of dread that shouldn't be there in an image of a quiet suburban street.

Fun Fact: This is Robert Englund's favourite piece of Elm Street marketing.

1 comment:

qnz#1blogger said...

I see where you`re coming from. The american version still does it for me. Plus it has a great tagline