Wednesday, November 28, 2007

This Week on Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the Week 29/11/07

Beowulf - So, I really want to see this movie in 3D, right? Well, turns out that what I feared for a long long time is actually very very true: Australia is incredibly far behind in terms of digital cinema. Now there are only a few cinemas with the ability to screen is in digital 3D, and my city isn't one of them. Of course there's always IMAX, which is also up in Melbourne. I dunno. It's so frustrating. I tell ya one thing though - I am not seeing Beowulf is crummy 2D. No way.

Daddy Day Camp - I am pretty much putting all my faith of this movie into this. So that's a pass. It's #2 on IMDb's Bottom 100. Nice.

Into the Wild - Sean Penn directs this potentially Oscar-bound wilderness tale. Penn's last film The Pledge is on Aussie TV next Sunday night at 10.30 on channel 9.

Lagerfeld: Confidential - A documentary about Karl Lagerfeld, a fashion legend. Of it's three credited cast members there are Lagerfeld, Princess Caroline of Monaco and Nicole Kidman. Well... umm... that's nice.

September - A new Aussie feature developed out of John Polson's famous Tropfest, directed by Peter Carstairs and starring a great up-and-coming cast including Xavier Samuel, Clarence John Ryan and Mia Wasikowska (seen previously in movies like Suburban Mayhem and Greg McLean's Rogue). I really liked September, but I can see it's definitely not for "everyone". It's a very laconic film and reminded me of Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven in that about half the film is grand shots of wheat blowing in the wind. Still, I thought it was mightily impressive and beautifully made.

Slow Burn - Ray Liotta, LL Cool J, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Mekhi Phifer and Taye Diggs appear in this movie about... something. Why do they even bother sending movies like this to cinemas when its blatantly obvious that no more than about 100 people are going to see it.

DVD Releases for the Week 29/11/07

Chinatown - A new special collectors edition of Roman Polanski and Robert Towne's classic Chinatown.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Yet enough edition of Spielberg's alien flick, which I shamefully haven't seen for some reason, is being released. This time it's under the guise of "30th Anniversary Ultimate 2-Disc Blu-Ray Edition". Yikes. Speaking of which...

Clubland - Known as Introducing the Dwights, this film is out on DVD just in time for it to possibly win some AFI awards. I liked it more than I thought I would. I wish Rebecca Gibney acted more, with this and Tripping Over recently she's been on a role! Clubland is apparently available in an "uncut version", which is kind of odd. Are Brenda Blethyn's comedy routines more blue?

Licence to Wed - As much as I like Mandy Moore and John Krasinski I can't bring myself to watch Licence for Robin Williams to Act Like a Clown for the One-Hundredth Time to Wed. Nope. Can't do it.

Shrek the Third - Yawn. Is this franchise over yet?

Thank God You're Here - The third season of Aussie TV rating bonanza Thank God You're Here featuring more funny (and occasionally not) performers navigating their way through funny scenarios. It's not surprising that this show didn't catch on with American audiences.

Check out EzyDVD for more titles.


J.D. said...

Nope. There was a Shrek Christmas special on last night, and the FOURTH one is coming out in 2010.

As long as it makes money, there will be blood -- and more sequels.

But I feel your pain, dude.

Rural Juror said...

I have to do my post about September. Great little movie.

GayAsXmas said...

I think Beowulf is going to slip me by Its already been out for 2 weeks here in Lodon and whatever dim desire I might have had to go and see it has been squashed out by excitement at much better looking films (1 week to Golden Compass! - The Guardian seemed to like it a lot and said Nicole is brilliant).

I still say Beowulf isn't going to do that well because there still seems something slightly 'off' about the animation being used. It doesn't look half as good as Monster House did and if you can't see it in 3D, what is the point?

JA said...

I have to say I agree that there probably isn't a point to seeing Beowulf out of 3D. But in 3D, if you have the chance, OH MY GOD YES. It's really something special to see. I'd even say that if you have to go out of your way to see it in 3D it's worth it. But then, I didn't have to go out of my way, just uptown, to see it, so it's easy enough for me to argue such.

richardwatts said...

OMGOMGOMG Beowulf in 3D is fricken awesome - you must see it @ IMAX!