Monday, November 5, 2007

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #93 - Chungking Express

#93
Chungking Express (1994)
Directed by Wong Kar Wai
Unknown Designer
Film Nationality - Hong Kong
Poster Nationality - France



[click to enlarge]

I have a big thing when it comes to posters that are designed like arts and crafts projects. I just love them so much. They feel so geniune and beautiful. Take this French poster for Wong Kar-Wai's breakthrough film Chungking Express. The other posters for this film followed a slightly similar motif in that they were all very cluttered, but this design just makes me kind of giddy.

The use of torn photos and personal knicknacks draws me in and makes me intrigued as to how all these fit together, but do so with a design that doesn't just feel like they tried to cram a whole lot of different movie images as possible onto it.

Another poster that was a finalist for this list was that for Two or Three Things I Know About Her, but as lovely as that one was it just wasn't anywhere near as interesting, well-crafted and personal. It's like a little treasure trove of a poster.

By the way, how much does that one woman on the right remind you of Julianne Moore?

2 comments:

Rural Juror said...

agreed 100%. I love that poster

Kamikaze Camel said...

Jesus, I just posted this. Like, two minutes ago (the time stamp is wrong)