Sunday, November 11, 2007

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #85 - The General

#85
The General (1927)
Directed by Buster Keaton & Clyde Bruckman
Unknown Designer
Film Nationality - USA
Poster Nationality - USA (I assume)



[click to enlarge]

There are a wide range of eccentric posters for this Buster Keaton classic, but my favourite is the above design. It's the only poster that actually made me give out a bit of a guffaw upon viewing it for the first time, which I presume was the goal. Outside of the general wackiness of the poster - Keaton escaping on cannonball is a great central idea - I also think the colour design is unique (just like #84 actually) which would lend itself to being a poster your eyes see in their peripheral vision and draws you towards it.

That being said, all the other designs for The General focus around Keaton and a locomotive so I'm not sure if this design is at all representative of the film (I imagine Keaton doesn't ride a cannonball at any stage, mind you). Not much I can really do about that I'm afraid. I just report on what I see.

No comments: