Sunday, November 11, 2007

100 Greatest Movie Posters: #84 - The Cranes Are Flying

#84
The Cranes are Flying (1957)
Directed by Mikhail Kalatozov
Poster Designed by B Zelensky
Film Nationality - USSR
Poster Nationality - USSR



[click to enlarge]

There is a German poster for Katalazov's Palme d'Or winning war film that features a very similar design as above but in a much more traditional manner. I prefer the Soviet version with one of the most eye-popping uses of colour I came across in the research for this project. I can't really explain why I love this poster so much, but I know it comes down to that colour. I suppose the way it looks like some beautiful waterpainting and just appears full of wonder. It's really a one of a kind.

2 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

such a good movie, too!

Kamikaze Camel said...

Alas, it isn't available on my DVD service and I've never seen it at a DVD store so I don't believe it's available here. As always.