Thursday, October 25, 2007

This Week On Australian Screens

Cinema Releases for the week 25/10/08

Control - You know I'm a fan of Anton Corbijn's (pronounce Core-Bine) biopic of Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis, Control. It's grown in my mind a lot since I first saw it at the Melbourne International Film Festival, I'd perhaps even bump it up to a B+. Hmm. Nevertheless, Samantha Morton and Sam Riley really should be in the hunt for Oscar nominations not to mention that glorious cinematography by Martin Ruhe.

Eastern Promises - I very much liked David Cronenberg's previous film A History of Violence, but it has since faded in my mind for whatever reasons. And considering this is apparently inferior to that Oscar nominee, I think I may just wait for DVD. I haven't been pining for this film at any stage, if that says something... it does have Vincent Cassel so at least I could stare at him when I do get around to seeing it.

The Ex - Another Zach Braff pseudo-comedy about a guy who doesn't want to grow up. Pass. Interestingly for the DVD release they have used the original foreign poster, where the film went under the title Fast Track, which was much better than the silly oompa loompa poster that was used. Although Braff still looks like an oompa loompa.

Good Luck Chuck - Dane Cook trying to be a clueless romantic and Jessica Alba being a clutz. What doesn't make you want to see this movie? /sarcasm

The Real Dirt on Farmer John - Taggart Siegel's 2005 documentary finally sees a release here. I think it's about... farming?

Saw IV - Yet another addition to this retched franchise. I now know what it felt like to grow up in the '80s and not like the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street series. *sigh* Considering the way horror flicks have gone this year maybe there is hope this one will crash and burn. Also, along with Good Luck Chuck, this is the second film released this week that didn't get screened for critics. How unfortunate for them.

Waitress - Some people hate this film, some love it. It's the final film of writer-director-actress Adrienne Shelley who was murdered last November. It stars Golden Globe hopeful Keri Russell and Captain Tightpants. I may see it or I may wait for DVD.

DVD Releases for the week 25/10/07

Big Nothing - The first collaboration between David Schwimmer and Simon Pegg. The next is Run, Fat Boy, Run out now in the UK.

The Dog Problem - I don't intend to see this movie, but it is written and directed by and even stars the incredibly and impossibly hunky Scott Caan so, naturally, I think I should share these Dog Problem publicity photos. You can thank me later.


MmmHmmm!

Fantastic Four and the Rise of the Silver Surfer - Apparently going by the title 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer (click the title and you'll see), there's only one reason to see this sequel and it is encapsulated at the end of this entry. Other than that... there's... well... umm... oh! I know! Wait... no. It's nothing.

Hostel Part II - Do you prefer my Weinerdog being strung up and slaughtered or wrapped in Disney chow?

Box Office for Weekend Oct 18-21
1. Death at a Funeral (2)
2. Michael Clayton (1)
3. Hairspray (6)
4. Rush Hour 3 (4)
5. Rogue Assassin (1)
6. Resident Evil: Extinction (2)
7. The Brave One (2)
8. The Kingdom (3)
9. A Mighty Heart (1)
10. Superbad (5)
-----
11. Evan Almighty (5)
12. The Bourne Ultimatum (8)
13. The Nanny Diaries (3)
14. Ratatouille (8)
15. Stardust (5)
16. Underdog (5)
17. Surf's Up (6)
18. The Seeker: The Dark is Rising (3)
19. Away From Her (3)
20. Bhool Bhulaiya (2)


And as promised...






via, via.

5 comments:

Paul Martin said...

Don't dismiss Eastern Promises, Glenn. It's visually spectacular, with one of the best fight sequences ever committed to celluloid, and one of the best commercial releases of the year. I think many people will prefer this to A History of Violence (even though I'm not one of them).

Kamikaze Camel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kamikaze Camel said...

I've got too many other movies to see coming up that I'd rather skip Eastern Promises, quite frankly.

Hell, next week alone there's Death Proof and The Assassination of Jesse James All of which are in the very high tier of anticipation and I still have Michael Clayton, Away From Here and 4 Months... to see.

sora said...

God, Scott Caan just screams "SEX", doesn't he? [moans]

Rural Juror said...

don't forget Giovanni Ribisi in that picture...sigh