Thursday, October 18, 2007

This Week in Australian Cinemas

I used to do this feature over at the old Stale Popcorn and then I stopped, but I feel like starting it up again. Who knows why. I think it's good for Americans to see this sort of stuff and to realise how good they have it (if they live in NYC or LA, natch).

Cinema Releases for the week of 18/10/07

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - The Romanian film by rising director Cristian Mungiu that won the Palme d'Or at Cannes. Paul at Melbourne Film Blog gave it a very impressive write-up (better than Vera Drake!) so I'll be trekking out to the Como in South Yarra to see it, which is the only Victorian cinema screening it. I wonder what other states are like in that regard.

Day Watch - The second film in Timur Bekmambetov's Russian vampire (I think) trilogy. I never caught Night Watch despite seeing the trailer as nauseum and thinking it actually looked quite good. No way I'm seeing this one without seeing the first. Apparently it features a nifty recap of the first film.

Bomb Harvest - Australian documentary about the destruction caused to Laos during the Vietnam War. It'll be on tele (SBS, most likely) within six months, just you see.

Michael Clayton - George Clooney goes all socially conscious on us again with these legal thriller directed by Tony Gilroy in his debut. Also stars the transcendent Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson (looking good for his second Oscar nomination) and Sydney Pollack. I will be seeing it as soon as possible!

A Mighty Heart - It's already won the title of Worst Poster of 2007, and the fact that it's directed by Michael Winterbottom doesn't exactly fill me with the desire to sit through this adaptation of Marianne Pearl's book about her husband's death at the hand of the Taliban. If I have nothing to do perhaps I'll go, but otherwise I think this just screams "DVD!", unfortunately. By the way, a quick look at the film's IMDb page (linked in title) shows that they have ditched the atrocious poster design and given it a much more obvious DVD design. Anything's better than that poster though. Yikes.

My Kid Could Paint That - The idea about this is fascinating - much like Aussie con-artist doco Forbidden Lie$ - but nothing about this even makes me think twice about seeing it in cinemas.

Rogue Assassin - You know this movie. It originally went by the title of Rogue but it's US distributor changed that so it didn't compete with Greg McLean's better-looking Rogue (even though that film had no release date at all it would seem). It was retitled to War for America. And then internationally it has seemed to swap back to this Rogue Assassin title. An in a country where the release of this film and Rogue are a mere month apart? Ugh. Idiots!

Dendy Cinemas are also screening a one-off showing of Highlander: The Search for Vengeance on Saturday the 21st. Check the website for details.

DVD Releases for the week of 18/10/07

Blades of Glory - No thanks. Will Arnett won't get me to see Let's Go Prison and he ain't getting me to see this.

Bridge to Terabithia - I actually want to see this one! Mostly to find out what's so heartshattering about it. I assume someone dies? I have no idea though. Does someone hurt a puppy? I bet they hurt a puppy! ARSEHOLES!!! Ellen will be onto you...

Deceit - I got no idea.

The Messengers - IMDb tells me that this was released here theatrically in May, something that I have no recollection of whatsoever. It's directed by the Pang Brothers who made a movie I didn't care for at all a while ago called Bangkok Dangerous. Needless to say, I'm not rushing to add this to my Quickflix queue.

Sisters - A horror flick starring Stephen Rae and, omg, Chloe Sevigny. It's a remake of Brian de Palma's 1973 movie of the same name. It's about siamese twins or something.

Wrong Turn 2: Dead End - Another "scary" flick released prior to Halloween, despite the fact that Australia doesn't celebrate it, nitwits! I hated the original Wrong Turn (what a way to waste Eliza Dushku and Jeremy Sisto!), but Ja at MNPP seems to think it's not that bad. Still, why don't people ignore the "Wrong Turn 2" part and see actually quite great Dead End with Ray Wise. You can try and spot the numerous David Lynch references! There's several Twin Peaks references alone.

Also, releases of Kath & Kim (season 4), Boston Legal (season 3), Family Guy (season 6), Desperate Housewives (season 3) and Lost (season 3 - I coulda sworn this show has been going for much longer!)

Box Office

1. Resident Evil 2: Extinction (1)
2. Death at a Funeral (1)
3. Hairspray (5)
4. Rush Hour 3 (3)
5. The Brave One (1)
6. The Kingdom (2)
7. Ratatouille (6)
8. Evan Almighty (4)
9. Underdog (4)
10. Superbad (4)


JA said...

I liked Dead End as well, though it's been awhile and I don't remember it all that well. As for the first Wrong Turn, I was expecting utter shite, and then I thought it actually built a decent sense of tension in a few scenes, so I didn't hate it. It certainly ain't Shakespeare, but you take what you can get in the cannibal-hillbilly genre, since nobody wants the cannibal-hillbilly genre to go away, NOW DO WE???

The second flick isn't half bad. It feels straight-to-DVD to be sure, but there's some fun killin' to be had, and possibly-incestuous deformed hillbilly cannibals having sex, which is a phrase I don't get to write nearly often enough.

Paul Martin said...

Glenn, the distributor only brought in two prints, partly because they were very expensive (prints with subtitles cost significantly more), and also because they were unsure how many people would want to come see 'a film about abortion'.

I think they've underestimated the appeal, because all the local reviews I've read have been very impressed, and I suspect it will do well.

Paul Martin said...

I was talking about 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, of course.

J.D. said...

In Bridge to Terabithia no one hurts a puppy. But there is a puppy; his name is PT. Just see it. I bawled, but that's me. And I keep the book in a special place in my heart, so I knew what was gonna happen, but it hit like seven thousand pianos being thrown from a space shuttle! And it's not a fantasy epic; I cannot say that enough. It's a helluva lot better and more meaningful than that. See it.

Simon A said...

Don't be ragging on Winterbottom: 24 Hour Party People was fantastic!

Rural Juror said...

Never see Nightwatch. It makes no sense and it's just a lot of loud noise.

Paul Martin said...

I didn't like Nightwatch and consequently have no interested in Daywatch. I found the first film just another Hollywood horror flick, but with Russian language and sub-titles.