Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Ten Links

Movie City News' DVD wrap up for this week includes discussion about Rolf de Heer's Ten Canoes. Notice:

No matter what transpires between now and the day Oscar nominations are announced, it's unlikely a more impressive film than Ten Canoes will be released in this country.

Uh-huh. And:

Few American directors ever will face the conditions experienced by De Heer and his cast and crew, let alone return with a picture that's half as entertaining and of such immense cultural importance.

Which is exactly why de Heer won the UMA award for Best Director. And so should the Academy. But, ahem, that ain't happening.

The New York Times has a great piece on Ben Affleck and his first feature-length film as director. I like Ben, I wish him well. Also, he directed a short many moons ago called I Killed My Lesbian Wife, Hung Her on a Meat Hook and Now I Have a Three-Picture Deal at Disney. Yep. I know. Anyway, if box office success alludes Affleck yet again then he at least has the critics on his side now.

Go Fug Yourself and Bai Ling's button of destiny.

Arjanwrites has a free Debbie Harry mp3 for you. It's a good one too!

Kris at In Contention asks who Daniel Day Lewis' competition for a second best actor Academy Award is. He also looks at best supporting actress. I still say Samantha is a big contender for best supporting actress for her role as Ian Curtis' "long suffering wife" *dingdingding* in Control. I've been saying for months now that Morton was a contender. Still, it's being distributed by the Weinstein Company so I probably shouldn't expect it. It would still be nice though, hey?

Forget those "disappointing" numbers for Ratatouille, as The Hot Blog shows it will most likely be the fourth most successful Pixar film worldwide. It should also be a best picture contender at the Oscars. Alas...

Rotten Tomatoes has a countdown of the 50 best-reviewed horror movies of all time. I tend to find RT's countdowns frustrating because how one earth can they calculate results when modern movies have 100+ reviews and older ones have 10? Anyway, the lists still read quite accurate.

Nick at Nick's Flick Picks reviews Hallam Foe. I am required to link this because it stars my boyfriend Jamie Bell. I really wish they'd release this film (from the director of Young Adam, which I did not like) now. Like, really. NOW! Speaking of the Jamie Jamie Bell Online has some very very high resolution and high quality screengrabs from the Jumper trailer. He looks even better if HQ!

2 comments:

Rural Juror said...

Control looks so beautiful. I want to see

Adem IAR said...

I just spent the last 2 hours of supposed radio show planning time staring at pictures on that Jamie Bell site instead.

Gawd he is lush.