Saturday, October 20, 2007

Inspired Terror

On October 21, 1994, Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard and Michael Williams hiked into Maryland's Black Hills Forest to shoot a documentary film on a local legend, "The Blair Witch". They were never heard from again.

One year later, their footage was found.


Perhaps no film poster tagline enstills such sudden terror into my brain than that of The Blair Witch Project. Just the idea of coming across footage like that is enough to scare the bejesus out of me, real or fake. What on earth possessed me to watch The Blair Witch Project (for something like the sixth equally confuding time - why do I keep torturing myself?) last night? I blame Rural Juror. I recently wrote about my affection for this misunderstood horror flick - probably the scariest film I've ever seen give or take a Texas Chain Saw Massacre - but at the time of writing that piece I hadn't seen the movie in a while and was merely high on the fumes of reading a different article about the film. But, last night I sat down at Midnight, crawled under the covers of my bed and pressed play on the DVD player.

It didn't even occur to me until I was reading the newspaper this morning that - holy crap - it's October 20! I am fairly certain that by watching The Blair Witch Project on Octover 21 I would have torn a hole through the time/space continuum and the universe would cease to exist. Or... perhaps I'd just scream and run out of the room. Nevertheless.

That ending though. Jesus Christ. THAT ENDING. I was considering writing about it for JD's The Endings Blog-a-Thon but then realised I can barely write anything about it other than it terrifies the living daylights out of me.

So, naturally, here it is! Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Joel said...

I'm with you here... Didn't see it at the movies but watched it when it came out on on video (back in the days when VHS was still around).
Wasn't overly impressed (although there were a few spooky moments), but that ending - freaked me out for days!

J.D. said...

Thanks for the plug. :)

I haven't seen it, I think because I think it'll piss me off. But if The Forgotten could scare the bejesus out of me...

Rural Juror said...

Happy to shoulder the blame ;)

It's amzing...even out of context, that end gives me goosebumps

CRG said...

I went to see this opening night and ended up sleeping with my light on for over a week. It's probably the only horror movie that's really scared the crap out of me.