Monday, October 22, 2007

Are YOU the Next Tom Hanks?



Because you could be if Film.com's thing "Searching For The Next Tom Hanks: The Six Best Actors Under 25" is any indication. I mean, really? Jonah Hill? Honestly? They really think that? Anyway. This bizarro list includes my Jamie on there so I have to post this. They quote Nicholas Nickleby - "His face practically screams drama." - and claim "(h)e backs it up with great performances too", yet it's Emile Hirsch who is "(p)robably the best actor in the group".

I know he's been praised for Into the Wild, but perhaps I missed it when he won a BAFTA for The Girl Next Door? Or when he won two awards from the National Board of Review for The Emperor's Club. Or when he was nominated for two SAG awards for Lords of Dogtown. Or when he won two Young Artist Awards for The Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys?

Did I miss that? I must've missed that, right?

Anyway, the most logical answer is obviously Shia LeBeouf, so let's move on shall we

7 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

i hate lists like this. they are invariably just a listing of "who is most famous and popular right this second" with nary a thought beyond that

NATHANIEL R said...

which is also why EMILE is dubbed the best because he has the most recent movie out... right this very second

Kamikaze Camel said...

But the thing is they say he has Speed Racer and Into the Wild "on the horizon". It's like they haven't even seen it. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I'm not ready to sing the praises of any of these actors, although I guess Hirsch is probably my favorite, give or take LaBeouf. I'm not convinced by Bell yet, and his most honored role is certainly not the one to do it. Those three, I think, have the most potential. But none of them have really impressed me yet.

I do think Jonah Hill is funny, though.

steve said...

Oh, that last me on the last one.

Actually, Hirsch did impress me mightily in Into the Wild, but I'm not prepared to hold that against any of these other "contenders", since he was blessed with a great opportunity; the other actors might do similar things with similar opportunities.

Kamikaze Camel said...

Have you seen Undertow? That performance usually changes people's minds about Bell.

steve said...

Yeah, I caught it. On the whole, maybe a C. Bell was fine, but not particularly "impressive". I do think he has potential, though.