Tuesday, October 16, 2007

27 Guesses

I was sitting here thinking what the poster for 27 Dresses (source) reminded me of. I was all "is it... no, not that. Is it... no, not that either." And then it hit me! On one hand it reminded me of the amazing foreign (German?) poster for The Seven Year Itch plus the "Kill is Love" poster for Kill Bill, Vol. 2, even down to the use of hot pink. Does Marilyn + Uma = Katherine Heigl? Hardly, but I think the posters sure equal one another.


That's not to say that the poster for 27 Dresses ("from the screenwriter of The Devil Wears Prada" in case the prominant note telling you as such didn't quite sink in) is bad - in fact, I love that Seven Year Itch poster so much that I can't really fault the designers of this poster for copying it. And this is perhaps one of few instances where I think the presense of a sea of white empty space works for the poster. She's probably way too happy considering the premise of the movie - Heigl plays a character who is literally "always the bridesmaid never the bride" - but at least she looks pretty, which is some consilation I guess.

However, watch as the release date gets closer and they come up with a much more bland variation. Perhaps Katherine being surrounded by a group of women in wedding dresses while she looks at the camera with a goofy endearing expression as if to say "why me?" You know they're gonna!

2 comments:

J.D. said...

I've never seen that poster for TSYI, but god, it's great.

I love that poster for KBV2. It's so imposing, so beautiful, so perfect.

27 Dresses on the other hand... [shrugs]

Kamikaze Camel said...

Well, yeah, it's no great shakes, but compared to most romantic comedy posters it's positively Van Gogh.