Wednesday, October 24, 2007

2007 AFI Award Nominations

The nominees for the 2007 Australian Film Institute awards and I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. Conventional movies like Romulus, My Father getting nominations is every category? Christ. And The Home Song Stories achieving the same feat bar one (supporting actor). I guess it's just disappointing that movies like Razzle Dazzle, Rogue and The Bet were given only minor nominations while truly unique one-of-a-kind work like Dr Plonk or Burke & Wills gets ignored altogether.

Thankfully the year's best film so far - in my eyes - Noise got some strong notice, as did Clubland, which I liked much more than I thought I would. It's just so frustrating to see the same movies in almost each and every category. Granted, 2007 wasn't as strong as 2006, which had a more diverse range of films, but still. And with movies like The Jammed being ineligible, it's even more frustrating. That film coulda swept.



BEST FILM
The Home Song Stories
Lucky Miles
Noise
Romulus, My Father

Interestingly Lucky Miles received only best film and screenplay nominations. Clearly more a populist hit than anything. I admired The Home Song Stories and Romulus, My Father more than liked them, but I can see how they got nominated - they pulled the heartstrings. It's still incredibly nice to see Noise there. Is it too much for it actually win?

BEST DIRECTION
Cherie Nowlan - Clubland
Tony Ayres - The Home Song Stories
Mathew Saville - Noise
Richard Roxburgh - Romulus, My Father

The inclusion of Nowlan is an interesting, but pleasantly surprising one and I do love seeing Saville there, who also received a nomination for best direction in television for his work on the Graham Kennedy biopic The King.

BEST LEAD ACTOR
Qi Yuwu - The Home Song Stories
Brendan Cowell - Noise
Eric Bana - Romulus, My Father
Kodi Smit-McPhee - Romulus, My Father

Really? Qi Yuwu? I know he's sort of a horrible human being in life and all but Matthew Newton was much better in The Bet and either Yuwu, Bana or Smit-McPhee (definitely one of the more frustrating child performances since Freddie Highmore or Dakota Fanning). Still, Cowell really deserves to take this like a walk in the park, but can they resist giving it to Bana?

BEST LEAD ACTRESS
Brenda Blethyn - Clubland
Joan Chen - The Home Song Stories
Kerry Armstrong - Razzle Dazzle
Franke Potente - Romulus, My Father

Outside of the nomination for Potente this category is very strong. I think Chen will deservedly win, but if they want to give it to an Aussie I'd have no problem with them awarding one of my true favourites Kerry Armstrong for her horrendous stage mother in Razzle Dazzle.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Frankie J. Holden - Clubland
Richard Wilson - Clubland
Marton Csokas - Romulus, My Father
Russell Dykstra - Romulus, My Father

It would be nice to see Holdon take this prize out I think. What a crap category.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Sibylla Budd - The Bet
Emma Booth - Clubland
Irene Chen - The Home Song Stories
Esme Melville - Romulus, My Father

Another good category. I'm very glad they rewarded the work of Budd, Chen and Booth. Melville, on the other hand, appears in barely one scene sitting there pooring tea. She get's the posthumus vote I assume because she was so popular.

BEST SCREENPLAY (ORIGINAL OR ADAPTED)
Clubland - Keith Thompson
The Home Song Stories - Tony Ayres
Lucky Miles - Helen Barnes & Michael James Rowland
Noise - Mathew Saville
Romulus, My Father - Nick Drake

I reckon the copious amounts of hilarious one-liners in Razzle Dazzle deserved a nom over at least three of these, but such is the "important" vote. If it's not serious it doesn't get a nomination. Drake's screenplay for Romumus, coincidentally, was the only adapted screenplay in contention.

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Clubland - Mark Wareham ACS
The Home Song Stories - Nigel Bluck
Noise - Laszlo Baranyai ACS
Romulus, My Father - Geoffrey Simpson ACS

Substitute Clubland (really? Clubland? for cinematography?) with Rogue or The Bet and this is a good lineup. I am a huge fan of Baranyai's work - so impressive - that I hope it can win out over the more conventional Romulus and Stories.

BEST EDITING
Clubland - Scott Gray
The Home Song Stories - Denise Haratzis ASE
Noise - Geoff Hitchins
Romulus, My Father - Suresh Ayyar ASE

Yawn. I guess Dr Plonk's time travelling and Rogue's monster movie feel didn't go down well. I woulda thought they'd get into this category easily.

BEST SOUND
Clubland - Andrew Neil, Ian McLoughlin CAS, Liam Egan & Stephen Jackson-Vaughan
The Home Song Stories - Craig Carter, James Harvey, Andrew Neil & John Wilkinson
Noise - Emma Bortignon, Doron Kipen & Philippe Decrausaz
Romulus, My Father - Sam Petty, Gary Wilkins CAS & Phil Heywood

If Noise doesn't win... I swear something is rotten. The movie's called NOISE for crying out loud.

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC SCORE
The Home Song Stories - Antony Partos
Noise - Byrony Marks
Razzle Dazzle - Roger Mason & Green Dragon
Romulus, My Father - Basil Hogios

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Clubland - Nell Hanson
The Home Song Stories - Melinda Doring
Noise - Paddy Reardon
Romulus, My Father - Robert Cousins

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Clubland - Emily Seresin
The Home Song Stories - Cappi Ireland
Razzle Dazzle - Ariane Weiss
Romulus, My Father - Jodie Fried

I'm sure this award will go to either Home Song (Asia!) or Romulus (Poor!) but I really hope they show some spunk and give it to Weiss for Razzle Dazzle. Truly film-serving work there and original too!

INTERNATIONAL AWARD FOR BEST ACTOR
Eric Bana - Lucky You
Julian McMahon - Nip/Tuck (Nine Network)
Hugh Jackman - The Prestige
Dominic Purcell - Prison Break (Seven Network)

Dominic... Purcell... !!!...

INTERNATIONAL AWARD FOR BEST ACTRESS
Rachel Griffiths - Brothers & Sisters (Seven Network)
Rose Byrne - Damages (Nine Network)
Jacinda Barrett - The Last Kiss
Toni Collette - Little Miss Sunshine

That movie written by Paul Haggis finally gets a nomination!!

AFI YOUNG ACTOR AWARD
Irene Chen - The Home Song Stories
Joel Lok - The Home Song Stories
Corey McKernan - Lockie Leonard (Nine Network)
Kodi Smit-McPhee - Romulus, My Father

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Air Australia: Canvas & Sticks - David Rutherford, Reigy Skwarko, Paul Siciliano, Delon Govender
Crocodile Dreaming - Kirsty Millar & Chad Malbon
Rogue - Andrew Hellen, Dave Morley & Jason Bath
Spider - Mike Seymour

BEST DOCUMENTARY
4 - Joanna Buggy, Tim Slade
Forbidden Lie$ - Sally Regan & Anna Broinowski
Global Haywire - Claude Gonzalez
Words from the City - Philippa Campey

BEST SHORT ANIMATION
An Imaginary Life - Steve Baker
The Bat and the Butterfly (Dust Echoes 2) - Michael Wagner & Dave Jones
The Girl Who Swallowed Bees - Justine kerrigan & Paul McDermott
The Goat That Ate Time - Lucinda Schreiber

BEST SHORT FICTION FILM
Boy's Own Story - Michael Petroni & Jamie Hilton
Dugong - Melanie Brunt & Erin White
Spike Up - Anthony Maras & Kent Smith
Swing - Louise Pascale & Christopher Houghton


To see all the nominees click on over to the AFI website.

5 comments:

J.D. said...

Why are people in TV shows nominated? That doesn't really make sense.

Paul Martin said...

I don't care much for awards, and this year nothing stands out as being particularly exceptional in Australian film. There are, however, a lot of films in the middle ground that give each other good competition. The only stand out award that I can think of is Noise getting best cinematography. Everything else is anyone's guess.

Rural Juror said...

I have to agree about Romulus, My Father. After seeing some of it, it was just ok

Kamikaze Camel said...

I got no idea JD. It's crazy to compare performances in long running television shows and those in two hour movies. But... oh well. That's the AFI. They do their crazy shit.

franklinbluth said...

This might be a dumb question, but why is 'the jammed' ineligible?